29 April 2008

The Lacy Cardigan

I finished the lacy Cardigan yesterday. This isn't the best picture, but you get the idea. I love the bamboo yarn I used. It is very soft and fun to knit. I also have a vintage button at the top of it. It is very cute and it matches the sweater really well. I won a whole box of fun vintage buttons on ebay, and that button is one of them. Love it, love it, love it!

However, I was so excited to find the bamboo yarn on sale that I grabbed the four remaining skeins and didn't think to check the dye lot.

This brings us to problem number one on the sweater-- The last skein I used is a slightly darker shade of pink than the others. Also . . . I didn't have quite enough yarn. Notice how on the edge of the sleeves there are three rows of eyelets, but on the bottom there are only two? This is because I didn't want to buy a whole new skein, from who knows what dye lot, just to knit three more rows.

And lastly, I didn't do the math quite right when figuring out the increases--shocking, I know, normally I'm so good at math! Anyway the eyelets don't match up with underarm the seam on the back. At least it was the back and not the front though!

All I can say is that I'm a little damned off (I just love that expression)! I don't know what I am going to do with the cardigan because I don't feel like I can give it to someone as a present.

However, on a more exciting note, I am currently working on my first project that is my own pattern! I've had to start over twice now to make adjustments, but I'm still super excited.

9 comments:

Juliette said...

I think it looks great. Just give it to a close friend or family member, and explain the minor imperfections, I'm sure they won't mind. And anyway, who will be able to notice after the baby has spit up on it a few times?

Anonymous said...

I love it! If you think Jenna would fit into it I'll take it off your hands!-jeri

Alice said...

Maybe it is time you have another little girl :)

Unknown said...

Juliette-- Good point

Jeri-- I think it's too small for Jenna. Its the 6 to 9 month size.

Alice-- My baby is the youngest so perhaps it's time for someone else in the family to have another little girl.

Kristin said...

You should give it a way like Juliette says. It has its imperfections but I did't notice them until you pointed them out. Noone cares. IT was handmade and that makes it worth far more than any "perfect" thing you can buy at the ster.

Kristin said...

Store. I meant to write "store". You knew that but I really had to clear that one up for some reason.

CarrieAnne said...

I think you should give it to someone and NOT tell them of the imperfections..they won't notice. They really won't.

I have a neighbor who just had a baby girl..a *9* POUND baby girl! If you're looking to hand it off to someone I would be MORE than happy to tell her I made it!

Tyler V said...

Only you are going to notice! And, hey, does the "different color" go all the way around the bottom? It could just look intentional. The other 2 "problems" are only going to be noticed by you. Well, you and the old ladies at the knitting store...
It's too cute. Really.

Alice said...

Beth ... do you think I should have one?