24 April 2008

Bless Them

I had an appointment with at the arthritis doctor today. My trips to the arthritis doctor are nothing if not entertaining. I think this is because I'm usually the only patient in the office under 70. As we were sitting in the waiting room watching commercials for the Jazzy and other powered wheelchairs, I was approached by an elderly woman who was admiring the two little boys. She told me they were beautiful, I thanked her. Then, because I think she was anticipating this post she said, "Well, I know they can be a handful. But I just hope you realize they really are precious."

Yes. Precious. Yesterday my precious little boy brought me one of his shirts. It was covered in baby powder, as was his face. So he'd dumped the baby powder, he's done it before, the only thing different this time is it looked like he had also tried to eat it. I went to investigate. He hadn't just dumped the baby powder, he had emptied the closet of all of his and the baby's clothes and then dumped the baby powder on them. I kept my cool. I have a mountain of laundry to do, what's a few more loads? However, upon leaving the bedroom I lost it. Sitting in the hall was the journal I had kept when I was in elementary school. Half the pages had been torn out and several of them were ripped. He got a firm talking to and was promptly put in a time out. Precious, precious, precious. Good thing he is so good at the "I'm sorry" face. Because really how can you stay mad at that face?

4 comments:

Shell said...

Wow. You are such a better mom than I am. 'A firm talking to' would have been much more along the lines of a freak-out screaming fit and a swat on the butt. At least he's in preschool. How soon can Davis get in?

Laurie said...

The baby powder story sounded rough, but typical for a little boy (typical for my little boy anyway!). However, when I read the story about the journal, I about had a full-blown panic attack. I need to go lie down now... ;)

Unknown said...

Michelle-- There are reasons I didn't blog about this yesterday. I needed a little time and distance. I am proud to say that though I was sorely tempted I did not swat the butt.

Laurie-- what is their attraction to baby powder? I swear no matter how hight I put it . . . .

Juliette said...

Lol. Kids can be so charming, can't they? Reading these stories is making me excited to have another one. (o;