01 March 2008

Spring Has Sprung

Shortly after moving into our first house, I naturalized crocus in our front yard. Each winter as the snow melted the boy and girl searched for crocus buds popping out of the lawn. Upon finding a bud they would boisterously declare spring had arrived.

Last summer we moved. As soon as our first fall in the new house rolled around, I bought crocus bulbs. This time I had the kids plant the bulbs with me. It took significantly longer with their "help," but I keep reminding myself it was worth it.

Yesterday we found our first bloom and they immediately got into a heated discussion about who planted that particular bulb. When they noticed little buds popping up everywhere, it no longer mattered whose bulb was whose, because spring had finally sprung.

Oh and did I mention that all the snow has melted off our free swing? It, along with a variety of other items, came with the house. Regardless, it is one of the kids favorite spots and they are glad to have it back again.

7 comments:

tyler and ali said...

Crocuses are always my favorite flower...if only because they signal that the snow will soon be completely over and I will have mostly comfortable weather for 2 or so months!

Shell said...

That is so cool! I didn't know you could plant them in your yard like that! I bought those darn crocuses too and I never did get around to planting them. I wonder if it's too late to scatter them about the yard. I won't get flowers this year, but maybe next spring I can have that wonderful 'aha' moment of seeing them peeking out through the dead grass. Thanks for passing that along!

CarrieAnne said...

I guess you don't love Anakin as much as the rest? ;-) Leaving him out of the picture like that will result in him feeling inferior in years to come. Don't talk back to him...he'll getcha!

And congrats on the crocus thing. Di you plant them IN the grass? How do you not mow over them?

*So not a gardener*

Unknown said...

You can plan crocus in the grass because by the time the lawn needs to be mowed they've died.

Kristin said...

Beautiful! When do you put them in the lawn? Swings are awesome..the second we got those for our yard in the old house we suddenly started spending time any amount of time outside.

Anonymous said...

yeah! the snow is gone, and that means i can come see you :)!!

Sparklebot said...

It's 65 in DC today! Yay for spring!