14 March 2008

Games Children Play

Everyday but Monday this week has been a half day at the kid's school. Don't worry about me, I've faired well enough. I think I only swore at them one, maybe two dozen times.

I'm expecting great things for today as well. The boy is staying home. Yesterday his teacher requested he stay home today because she thinks he might be getting pink eye. It's been a while since we've been to the doctor, so I suppose we're due.

Seriously though, the week hasn't been all bad. Tuesday and Wednesday they played with friends so it was almost like they were at school. However, the threat level of the toy room has increased from the blue to the red. It's never at green. We don't want to get complacent. You never know when terror is going to ring your door bell for a play date.

Yesterday Madison told me she was going to play by herself. Normally she accomplishes this by shutting herself in her room reading a book or playing with the toys she doesn't want her little brothers' grubby hands on.

Unfortunately, yesterday this meant she was going to follow me around the house and mope. I was knitting in the living room when she came in, slouched down on the couch looking so bored I thought she might burst into tears.

Me: Go play.
Her: I AM!
Me: Really? It looks a lot like moping.
Her: I'm playing teenager!
Me: Yes. Well, that makes sense. Go play something else, we're not ready for that here.


5 comments:

Sparklebot said...

Remember when you were little and thought teenagers were so cool? And, then, remember when you were a teenager and how everything was terrible? At least, that's how I remember it.

Juliette said...

Lol. Averi "plays" teenager a lot herself. She's become quite sassy and thinks she knows better than her parents. Not to mention the daily fashion crises she has each morning before school.

Unknown said...

Smash-- that is pretty much exactly how I remember it.

Juliette-- the trick to the daily fashion crisis, is a school that has a uniform. I have yet to find anything that helps with the sass.

Kristin said...

That is great. Elisabeth does the moping thing too. One time though she fell alseep doing it while I was on the phone. I saw a tear drop going down her cheak so I had to decide..do I wake her back up to her apparent misery so I can try to comfort her or let her sleep and escape it. I felt like a really crappy mom that day.

Shell said...

When Jonathon starts acting all teenager-y I tell him to knock it off. He's not a teenager yet and I refuse to start before it's time. Unfortunately, that will only work until August, when he does actually become a teenager, a fact he takes great delight in pointing out to me. What he doesn't realize is that I remember 13 as one of the most miserable years of my life. Too old to be a 'kid' anymore, but despite the 'teen' at the end, not really old enough to do teenager things. If only they would believe us when we tell them that childhood really is a happy place to be!