03 March 2008

Creative Writing

Before kindergarten the boy took two years of preschool. During the second year they taught him how to read. He struggled with it, but he managed.

Because he struggled, we have tried various things to help him become excited about reading. One of his favorite is the word box. Anytime there's a word he wants to learn to read, we spell it out for him, write it on a 3x5 card, and put it in his word box. He looks at the words in his word box all the time. What are some of the words in his box? "Ninja turtle", "puff", "buddies", "Halloween", "refrigerator", and "gobs" are among my favorite.

We also got him a set of foam letters and numbers that he can stick on the wall while he is taking a bath. He spends most of his bath time making words with these letters. His favorite words to spell are the names of his friends, or words he makes up. After he combines random letters and numbers, he asks you to tell him what it says. Yesterday he combined letters and numbers to spell this . . .


. . . armpits. I'm just excited that he didn't write butt or poop.

3 comments:

Alice said...

That is cute ... I remember when Maddie was learning how to read. I had written BMW down for some reason and she said, "what does that say?" I asked her to tell me what she thinks it said, she spent a minute trying to figure it out and then replied, "BumWa" which technically was correct.

You've got some pretty smart kids!

Sparklebot said...

I like making up words too. Why, just the other night, in a scrabble game, I made up the word "wiguana." I decided Wiguana is a gay iguana who loves dressing in drag. I'm going to use him/her in my new children's book about tolerance!

Unknown said...

Smash-- let me know when that book comes out. I might be interested in a copy.