13 March 2008

Turbulent Times

Last night was parent teacher conferences. We talked to both the kid's teachers and it went swimmingly.

We were told by Madison's teacher that she can read a third-grade-level story (that she's never read before) at over 200 wpm and then answer all the questions correctly at the end. Bravo!

We found out that Kai's picture is on the display for his class' science fair project. Why? Because he is ridiculously adorable and has dimples.

We also asked that Madison be moved to a different table due to another little girl who keeps trying to smash Madison's fingers between the desks and kicking her under the table.

All these things made me think back to my days in elementary school.

It was in elementary school where I had an "accident." When another little girl in my class asked me if I'd peed, I denied it. "Really?" She asked, "because you smell like pee." I told her that it was the laundry soap my mom used to wash our clothes. I imagine pee scented laundry soap would be pretty inexpensive; it might even be in the bargain bin.

It was in elementary school where I learned to hide my fingers under my desk and count on them when adding facts I was supposed to have memorized. A trick I still use.

It was in elementary school when a little girl asked me my first political question, "who are your parents going to vote for?" I told her my parents were going to vote for Dukakis. She told me my parents were evil, because her dad told her that Dukakis ate babies. I'm fairly certain her dad was misinformed.

It was in elementary school where the class was gathered around a doll under the pavilion. Our teacher told us we were going to have a demonstration about smoking. He showed us how the lungs of the doll (which were made from a kind of white cheese cloth) were all white. Then we sat and watched as the doll literally smoked a pack of cigarettes. Our teacher kept lighting them and loading them to the doll's mouth. We were all enthralled as we watched the white cheese cloth turn black. I'm proud to say I've never second hand smoked an entire pack of cigarettes since.

It was in elementary school where the same teacher later showed us what it was like to be drunk by adding a little bit of alcohol to the water in the bowl of his goldfish. The fish couldn't swim straight and kept bumping into the walls of the tank. I don't know how many years he taught, but I bet he suffered some sort of lung aliment later on in life. I also imagine he and his fish showed up at an AA meeting at some point.

And finally, it was in elementary school where I officially became a dork. I started out pretty cute, but the end result was a little less flattering. I'm not sure, but it might have had something to do with the HUGE glasses.

9 comments:

Wendeloo1 said...

The first picture totally looks like Maddie! I think all my sisters, who got glasses back then, had glasses just like those. Besides, dorks make the most well-adjusted adults. I was one. At least we are not deluded enough to think that high school was the pinnacle of our lives!

Juliette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juliette said...

Need I remind you of my ugly pink glasses? I just might have to do a elementary school blog to top yours. I believe I have a chance of at least matching your nerdiness. My parents never did use urine smelling detergent, however. (o;

Anonymous said...

I totally have to comment on this one.

I peed my pants in third grade and, instead of keep it on the down-low, I went around showing everyone and telling them how I had fallen into a puddle on the playground at recess. When I finally looked in the mirror at my wet butt, I realized it didn't look AT ALL like I had fallen in a puddle. Unless when you fall into a puddle it's possible to get just the crotch of your jeans wet.

Plus I smelled like pee.

Unknown said...

Andrea-- If I'd thought of the puddle thing, I totally would have run with it.

Kristin said...

I totally agree with Wendy, the first picture does look like Maddie. That was my first thought when I saw the picture.
For me I think it was my bubble gum pink trench coat. AAAAGH!
If you feel like you belong in highschool, chances are you always will. I am proud to say I didn't feel like I belonged with everyone else when I look at what that means from an adult point of view. I really feel bad for my kids that they still have all that hell ahead of them.

Sparklebot said...

Sometimes, when I look at pictures of myself at the end of middle school all the way through high school, I wonder if my parents hated me a little bit. If they didn't, why did they let me look like that?

Unknown said...

Jim-- Fishing for compliments? Always! But there is NO way you can convince me those glasses were a good decision.

Juliette said...

Okay, read my newest blog "The Nerdy Duckling" and let's see who was really the bigger nerd.