28 January 2008

Those Who Can . . .

Those who can, teach. Those who can't make a fool out of themselves.

I like teaching specific things in very controlled environments. My favorite class to teach was the intro to programming class. Give me a couple of interested students, a white board, a few good markers, some caffeine, and you'd be looking at a party.

Right now, instead of teaching intro to programming I've been teaching the Relief Society lesson during church. I don't teach that often (thank goodness), only once every other month. So basically, I get one month to recover from my last lesson and one month two stew over the upcoming lesson.

Once I am prepared for a lesson I have a printout of various topics, quotes, and questions I want to discuss. Normally I stick pretty close to my notes and things turn out well enough.

Yesterday this was not exactly the case. At one point I told all the women I didn't like people I didn't know. Yes, we are still relatively new, and no, I don't know many of them. Um . . . ya.

The best part was the fact that my right hand gets really shaky in the cold, and yesterday it was very cold. I think they all thought I was scared to death. Maybe they will disregard some of my crazier statements (junior high and puppet shows were mentioned) due to my apparent fear of public speaking.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, you are in the group of "those who can, teach." I was there for your Sept. lesson and it was outstanding. You may think about something you wish you hadn't said, but trust me, no one else will remember. They are just glad they aren't up there teaching.....

Anonymous said...

I didn't know this was your calling! I just got called to teach, I teach once a month. There is this great clearsil commerical that has a guy (20 or so) stand up in class and says to his professor, "It's okay if you want to imagine me naked. I don't mind." Then the words appear, "Clearsil is know is cause confidence." Or something like that. Then the guy turns to a girl sitting close by and says, "You can too." Maybe next time you teach you can have that kind of confidence.

Sparklebot said...

I ALWAYS say ridiculous things that I immediately regret when teaching Relief Society.

Alyssa said...

UMMM, what in the world. You can teach! I always look forward to when you do. That's why I requested you! HA! I was so bummed that Callie would not cooperate on Sunday. I really wanted to hear your lesson. . .from what I hear. . .you did great! So I'm not the only one who thinks you should teach!

CarrieAnne said...

Give me a time, date, and location and I'll be there to heckle you for your next lesson. It would ROCK!

Unknown said...

CA-- there is no way I would let you anywhere NEAR one of my lessons. I love you like a sister, but that ain't gonna to happen.

CarrieAnne said...

What the crap?!? I'm spiritual! I'm totally the most spiritual person in my family!

AND I have a FIL that is God! So how can I NOT have great insight? What The Heaven?!? (See? I can express anger in a spiritual manner, has anyone in your ward ever done that?)