22 January 2008

Rainy Day at the Movies

A while ago I helped my husband's family clean out the house his grandparents had lived in. It was like a 3 room time capsule. A very dirty, cluttered, possibly infected with the hanta virus type of time capsule.

While there, we found a very heavy strong box that had been padlocked shut. No one had the key so they had to open it with a crowbar. The excitement was such that everyone stopped working to watch the unveiling of something that must be spectacular. I for one was not disappointed to see the padlocked strong box was full of padlocks, still in their packages, as shiny as the day they were taken off the shelf. I thought it was so great, I plan on doing the same thing when I am old. Except I'm going to put mine in the top back corner of the closet. Don't tell the kids, I don't want to ruin the surprise.

I got a tin full of buttons and keys and a shoe box full of quilt squares. I also brought home a pile of vintage clothes that I was going to try to sell (yes they are still in a large box in my room). In an attempt to uncluttered my bedroom, I recently started sorting the clothes and taking pictures of the items I was going to try to sell. I took out a very cute rain coat and felt something in the pocket. No I didn't find a padlock, but how cool would that have been? I found this.


That is a move ticket to the Cottonwood Mall Theater. It doesn't say what movie-- perhaps there was only one? It cost 2.50 and they went on the 27th of May 1977. Apparently they had some cracker jacks, and a dollar to spare. After I took the picture I put all those things back in the pocket, and put the coat in the back of my closet. My kids are going to be SO confused some day.

4 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

Yes, and the reason they will be confused will have everything to do with the coat...and pocket contents.

I'm sure that's the only thing your kids will ever be confused about.

Ever.

Unknown said...

CA- don't forget the strong box.

dad- I like to think of it as funnier . . . not meaner.

Sparklebot said...

Whoa. I love that.

We cleaned out my great-grandmother's house last year and, up in her attic, we found a larger-than-lifesize cardboard stand-up of HER (OF my great-grandmother). She was somewhere in her mid-50's. It was weather-damaged a bit--but it's definitely one of the creepiest things to find in a dead woman's house. Also, WHY does it exist?

Unknown said...

Smash- That rocks.