02 January 2008

Yo Ho and a Bottle of Rum

I have been known to spout a few mild swear words now and then. I try not to swear around the kids, but sometimes I slip. Maddie said damn a few times, but never really picked it up. Not surprisingly the boy picked it up just fine. He knows he isn't supposed to say that word but likes to casually toss it around when he thinks I'm not listening. Last year when a car zoomed around me to jump in front of me in the school drop off line I said, "What the Hell was that!" and he responded with, "Ya, it's not like we're not going to the same damn place!" If he's going to swear as least he swears appropriately. Am I right?

I have been working on getting him to stop his occasional swearing, so now he says nonsense words. They are always a little different so I'm pretty sure he makes them up on the spot. Last night I woke up to hear him screaming, "Go away you crazy (insert string of made-up profanities here)!" Michael went down to check on him to find that he thought the skull and cross bones on the pirate flag that hangs above his bed (and has for almost 2 years) was moving and coming to get him. The boy came upstairs to sleep with us, but was still very freaked out. Michael suggested we take the flag down, but the boy wouldn't have that. He loves that flag, even it if is trying to kill him.

He may swear, but he's got that unconditional love thing down. Well, as long as your as cool as a pirate flag that is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, what is a pirate without a great vocab? :) i applaud Brig for staying in character.
Jessie

Unknown said...

Jessie, that is hilarious!

Marc said...

What sort of profanities are we talking about here... just a little pico de gallo? Or was it salsa verde? Please tell me it wasn't salsa roja!

Unknown said...

He hasn't gotten much spicier than the pico, I on the other hand . . . well, lets not talk about that.