15 January 2008

Mormon Art

I am still trying to rescue my house from the Christmas aftermath. I am almost done and have several large mostly full storage tubs to show for my efforts. My Christmas decorations are being replaced with my normal everyday decorations, and frankly, it is nice to see them again.














First we have the print of Jesus with a crown of thorns. Then the small resin St. Francis, and lastly, the iron cross.

I know, I'm a Mormon so I am supposed to have nice pictures of Jesus blessing children (preferably painted by Greg Olsen) in my house. I'm not against the happy, child blessing Jesus, he just doesn't go with my decor. The art I have in my home is a matter of personal artistic preference. To prove my point I give you the following exhibits:

Exhibit A: The Madonna with Green Eyes (I drew this when I was 8)


Exhibit B: The Resurrection (also drawn when I was 8)



If you look close you will see the graves of Mark Antony and Cleopatra that have not yet opened. I have also put a nurse in Hell. Even 8 year olds know that not all nurses are nice.

5 comments:

NG said...

At 8 years old, I was convinced some nurses CAME from Hell.

CarrieAnne said...

At least three nurses in the ICU at UVRMC are *in fact* representatives for the devil.

You still need a large Star of David. And one of those multiarmed elephant Gods. (Ganesh?) Those are cool!

Anonymous said...

I do not believe you have to have a Gerg Olsen picture in your house to make it to the Celestial Kingdom. But who knows? I prefer the one where Christ is walking towards you and looking in distance..he looks like the lead singer of an alternative band. Somehow it doesn't fit my image of him...but that is just me.

Unknown said...

Kristen, I'm going to have to check that painting out. I'm not familiar with that one.

However, a few years ago I was told that we couldn't use certain coloring pictures for the kids in nursery because they "made Jesus look like a Bee Gee." I thought that was pretty funny. Who's to say he didn't look like a Bee Gee (minus the flashy clothes that is).

CarrieAnne said...

I totally plan on having flashy clothes when I'm a Goddess. "Staying Alive"