25 May 2008

Funeral or Happy Hour?

Friday we went to a funeral. It was a nice funeral, but I didn't like it. No one likes funerals. After the funeral we attended the family luncheon that was held in the cultural hall. As we were finishing the wife of the deceased got up to express her appreciation for the people who came, helped, brought flowers, etc. Before she sat down again she briefly bore her testimony. It made everyone want to run up and give her a hug. Well almost everyone. I heard a sigh next to me, and turned to see Kai, with his little hand out to the side, and a look of confusion on his face. "Why is she telling me that? I already know the church is true-- they tell me all the time in primary!"

I have decided that I'm not going to have a funeral. I'm going to have one last stitch and bitch, with Dublin Dr. Pepper on tap and an unlimited supply of chocolate. If you don't know how to knit, you better like chocolate.

9 comments:

Juliette said...

Kai's so funny! But I can see where he's coming from. And, yeah, I don't especially like funerals, either, particularly the viewing part. Creepy.

Tyler V said...

I detest funerals (even ones for people I don't know, I cry at), but I think I would go to yours. Especially with Dr. Pepper on tap. And chocolate. Maybe we should do that while you're still alive. Much more fun.

Sparklebot said...

I've always felt that testimony bearing often happens too frequently. Some might argue that you cannot do it frequently enough--but, over-bearing of testimonies makes it less potent. Also, I'm not good with emotional moments.

I can knit and I enjoy chocolate, so maybe you better put me in charge of the non-funeral. Or, if not in charge, at least a VIP.

Wendeloo1 said...

Can we practice - like a dress rehearsal? I love chocolate and I am dying to try Dublin Dr. Pepper - after your Jason's Deli comment on your blog!!

Not that I want you to die or anything - let's just plan it for your UNbirthday party!!

Unknown said...

Vigues-- Who doesn't detest funerals? I hate crying. HATE IT!

Smash-- You can totally be in charge. I'll add it to my will . . . when I write one.

Wendeloo-- You order the Dublin Dr Pepper and I'll show up with the chocolate.

Sparklebot said...

I already took Wills, so I could write it for you!

Unknown said...

You're a handy friend to have! Lets see, lawyer, PA, dermatologists . . . now I just need to make friends with an electrician and I'm set.

Shell said...

You guys are all going to the wrong funerals. Matthew's family has AWESOME funerals. Okay, so there's crying, but there's tons of good food (at his great aunt's funeral they had a full roast beef and mashed-potato dinner), enough picture-taking to fill a scrapbook, and lots and lots of laughter. They're like impromptu reunions that everyone comes to (and I like his family, so it's okay that everyone's there).

However, I am totally on board for the Dublin Dr Pepper, chocolate, knitting thing. Do we really have to wait? What if you teach me how to knit (I'm not ready for that part yet) and we can have the Dr Pepper and chocolate during lessons? We can practice for your funeral. I'll even tell you how wonderful you are and how much I love you. But I promise to hold back on the testimony bit.

Kristin said...

Hey we did it for Michelle on her 40th. When is your birthday Lis?