15 February 2008

Parent Extraordinaire

Madison is an awesome reader. Her teacher said she is one of the top readers in the class. Last summer she read 956 pages worth of books she checked out from the juvenile literature section of our library. Last year she won second place in a regional poetry contest. Not to mention her spelling bee stunt last month. Basically the girl rocks.

Her teacher requires her students to read at least 15 minutes Monday through Thursday. No big deal right? Yesterday I walked in while she was doing her 15 minutes of reading and found she was reading, "Moo Baa La La La". I took a look at her homework sheet for this week and saw that Monday she read, "Show Me," Tuesday she read, "Put Me in the Zoo" and Wednesday she read, "Theres a Wocket in my Pocket."

I was not happy. I gave her an appropriate book and made her read for an hour and redo the entire weeks worth of reading.

I have now earned the title, "Meanest Mom Ever!!" Don't get me wrong I had to work hard for that title. There was a math incident earlier in the day with Madison and a "I forgot to bring ANYTHING to school today, including coat and my valentines, you're lucky I'm actually wearing shoes" incident with the boy. And as that boy would say, "THAT is ALL I have to SAY about THAT! Thank you."

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I think being called "Meanest mom ever" is a sure sign you are doing something right. Last sunday we made our kids help clean the living room before our hometeachers came. Elisabeth threatens "I am going to tell them you made us help clean" HA!

Unknown said...

S and S-- That is too funny! I remember saying something like that to my parents because they made me sweep the front porch before the home teachers came. It was horrible.

CarrieAnne said...

I agree..home teachers suck!

You should make her read aloud to Anakin or Chase. Then it will be ok for her to read the "baby" books.