03 June 2008

Old Men

This morning was the boys first day of Creative Drama. In this three day course a small group of 4 and 5 year olds get their first taste of acting. In anticipation of his first day of class, he requested a red Mohawk with purple polka dots on the side. He was the only boy in the class today, so it was a good thing he put so much thought into his hair.

After Creative Drama we went to lunch, then picked the girl up from school, then went to Costco where strangers asked, more than once, "Are all those kids, YOURS?" When people are asking you that in Utah, you know you've got your hands full.

After Costco we went to the library, where two separate old men commented on the boy's hair. The first asked what he had done to his hair, to which the boy happily explained that we had spray painted it. "SPRAY PAINT" the old man was horrified. "Well, special spray paint for hair" I replied. He shook his head in disgust and walked off. The second old man said, "Wow. He must need attention." Perhaps he does, but then, so do old men that feel they need to make comments about other people's children at the library.

6 comments:

Tyler V said...

I think his hair rocks. I bet Jack would want a 'do like that. I kinda do, too!

CarrieAnne said...

At church this week a guy I know asked about my pink hair...his words? "Did you lose a bet or something?" My reply? "No, I *actually* like it."

You go Kai!

(I seem to remember a little boy who was concerned/fascinated/slightly wigged that I had pink hair...I guess he got over it?)

Juliette said...

Hmm, I think it's really cool that you let him do that. Most mothers would care too much what others think.

I remember when I got a buzz a guy from church said, "Did you just get out of prison or something?" Charming old man.

Unknown said...

Vigues-- Have Jack come over we can hook him up.

CA-- His being slightly wigged by your pink hair was odd. Especially if you consider that he got fascinated with "painting" his hair when he saw a women having her hair died at the salon.

Juliette-- When did you get a buzz? I seem to have missed this portion of your life.

Wendeloo1 said...

I think it's great! He's very expressive - verbally and now visually too!

I hope you put that colored hair spray in a very good secret hiding place - when not in use! My kids would have that stuff everywhere!

Kristin said...

I do love those comments. I got a lot of stares when I was taking the kids around Seattle alone let me tell ya. It is quite ackward to have 4 kids out of Utah