07 June 2008

Growing Up Isn't Easy

Chase has started exerting more independence these days. Among other things, he has begun to dress himself. This has resulted in frequent public displays of backwards pants. I think Calvin would be pleased to be a part of Chase's statement of individuality.

He continues to be the master mess maker. Yesterday he found a box that must have been stashed under my bed when we moved. He dug it out and spread its contents across the room. He had a white residue all over his face and his breath smelled strongly of Licorice Altoids. I was not happy, do you know how hard it is to come by Licorice Altoids? I have to stock up when we go to Trader Joes in Vegas.

As we were cleaning up what was left of the Altoids I found some Extra Strength Tylenol among them. Damn. I held one up, "Chase did you eat these?" He shook his head, "uh huh." I held up an Altoid, "Chase did you eat these?" He shook his head, "uh huh." I held up the reading lamp, "Chase did you eat this?" He shook his head, "uh huh." I decided his testimony was unreliable and called poison control.

We ended up in the ER so they could test the Tylenol level in his blood. They also put an IV in his arm, that way they could give him the antidote quickly if the test results came back positive. Fortunately, they came back negative, apparently he stuck to the Altiods. My mom did manage to get a few pictures with the camera on my phone. Taking pictures other people wouldn't normally take is one of her trade marks.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Aaaah! When I saw the picture of you holding Chase with all the hospital bracelets I was so worried, then I looked at the date and remembered that the Hambys said Madison got baptized this morning and decided it would have a happy ending. Phew...what a relief. Sorry you had such a scare. Congrats to Madison too.

NG said...

Poor little guy. I guess it's inappropriate to hope he remembers this experience and will refrain from eating things he finds under the bed in the future?

Unknown said...

ng-- my thoughts exactly. Unfortunately I'm not sure he made the connection between the two events.