07 November 2007

Teenage Mom Meets Dirty Old Man

When I was a kid my dad used to tell us that my mom was older than he was. I believed him. My mom told me that Gilbert dies at the end of Anne of Green Gables, or is it Anne of Avonlea? I don't remember. The point is, she told me he dies and I believed her.

So it really shouldn't be a surprise that a few years ago I told the boy that I was 25 and I was going to be 25 forever. At the time he was 3, Maddie was 5 and Michael was 29 so it really wasn't so bad. But he still believes me and I'm not about to correct him.

The only problem is that he likes to tell everyone our ages. The grocery store clerk, the doctor, the stranger in the parking lot, the nurse giving him his flu shot . . . no one is exempt.

"Hey guess what! I'm 5, and Maddie is 7, and Chase is 2 and Davis is 4 months, and my dad is 31 and my mom is 25."

As you can see, I have now become a teenage mom and Michael is toying with the idea of being a dirty old man. Everyone else keeps aging, so it gets worse every year.

I was just going through the boy's school folder and found this picture. It's a partial family portrait. He has gone the extra mile to write our ages on the pictures. Maddie is 7, Michael is 31, and I'm 25. See Michael's big nose? That is probably because he is getting so old. As I understand it, your nose and ears don't stop growing. I'm not sure who that is looking over Michael's shoulder. Maybe its the grim reaper.

Mental note: take out life insurance . . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how it feels to be a teenage mom, in Emily's 6th grade math class they had everyone tell their mom's age. I was the youngest, at 27, and the oldest was 51. Luckily, her teacher knows our situation so she understood. I thought of all the kids going home that day telling their mom's that Emily's mom was only 27, and 16 when she had her!

CarrieAnne said...

Are you ripping on teenage moms? WTH? *I* was a teenage mom. In fact when I was knocked up I went as a pregnant teenager for Halloween..that's how much of a teenage mom I was. I'm totally taking a fence..a vinyl one.

And did you vote more than once yesterday? Because apparently there are a lot of Utahans that don't care about parents and children. Which is sad because I think Utahans have a higher percentage of parents and children than most other states.

Unknown said...

CA- we can duke it out next time we go out to dinner.

Sparklebot said...

The older I get, more I think I should have tried harder to become a teenage mom.

Shell said...

Hey, if I had been a teenage mom, my oldest would be home from his mission already and I could be grandma by now (I graduated from high school with a girl who went to summer term at BYU, was married by that September and was pregnant by Christmas. Her son is like 22!) My daughter would be acting her actual age instead of projecting (15 instead of 5) and I would be well on my way to having an empty nest. And that's if I still bothered to wait until I graduated from high school. Of course, I would also have been arrest for statutory rape, since Matthew would still have been in junior high.