12 February 2009

Nature vs Nurture


This is one of our most recent family pictures.  If you're interested it was taken by Rachel Meyers.  She's awesome.

Anyway, I love this picture because one, Davis still has his curls and two, I think that Michael and Chase have the same smile and that makes me laugh.  He obviously didn't inherit Michael's smile so I think it is a funny coincidence.

We went to Chase's parent teacher conference last night.  Yes, they have parent teacher conferences in preschool.  Apparently  Chase needs to work on his fine motor skills and though he doesn't enjoy coloring, he is excellent at identifying colors and shapes.  He's more of an art appreciator than an art creator.  

When we walked in the teacher looked at Michael and said, "If I ran into you at the store I'd know you were Chase's dad."  We were both a little shocked and I'm afraid that in our shock we both gave her weird looks.  She immediately felt uncomfortable and followed up with, "well you both have the same eyes."  I wonder if she really thinks that, or was just trying to justify the fact that she said Michael and Chase look a lot alike.  

People are always saying that Madison and I look alike, and I hear that Madison and Davis look alike.  Everyonce in a while (it really is quite rare) someone will point out a similarity between Kai and one of the other kids.  This was certianly the first time anyone said Chase looked like anyone else in the family.

I remember taking Chase to the doctor when Davis was a few months old.  It was on a Saturday and the appointment was in Salt Lake so the whole family went.  It was the first time we'd ever seen this doctor.  When she looked at Chase she asked how many of our kids were adopted.  I told her Chase was our only adopted child and she said, "really?  Because she (pointing at Madison) looks just like you (pointing at me) and the baby looks just like her (again referring to Madison).  So where did he (pointing at kai) come from?"  But to be fair Kai is a blond, green eyed, lefty.  He pulled every recessive gene we've got.  

Anyway, the conversation with the teacher last night got me thinking about all the ways in which Chase blends right in with the rest of us.  He's got a wicked awesome sense of humor just like me, and he's devilishly good looking, just like Michael.  Though I don't think he actually looks like Michael, they're just both very handsome.  Thinking about all this made me wish I knew more about his birth parents.  I wish I at least knew what they looked like.  It would be nice to tell him about them someday and how he is a little bit of them, a little bit of us, and a little bit of himself.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, although Chase's preschool teacher has many fine qualities--I think she truly loves those kids!--it was also my experience that she has weird things to say at Parent Teacher Conference.

When we had the privilege of a conference with her a while back, she seemed worried that our son spent too much time looking at books. She also informed us she had learned in school that children are just born the way they are and that our son would never change. (?!) Then she said, "I hope I haven't offended you." Um, no--should we be offended to hear you talk of our son's love for books? I left that conference wondering exactly what she was trying to say about him!

Unknown said...

I agree that she is a good teacher and she genuinely likes the kids. But she did say a lot of funny things. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that she is young. And as Mike said last night, it makes me feel old to day that.

Alyssa said...

Hey how about that- I love the pink laptop- perfect for valentines day. . .and look at how smart you kids are!!! BTW- your post about nature or nurture was great. I actually think that the more time you spend with someone the more similar two people become. I always notice that with older couples who have been married for years. . .they almost seem like brother and sister. . .and some of them even look alike. Maybe that's the story with Chase. . .or is your husband Asian and we just can't see it???

CarrieAnne said...

Great, so I'm destined to marry my brother? Which one? ;-P

I've known more than one family where the adopted kids look like they are biological children. I even commented on a kid without knowing that he was adopted. He looked **EXACTLY** like his dad. Same hair, freckles, face, expressions, build, bone structure...they were twins born decades apart! His dad looked at me weird and said the kid was adopted.

That being said...I didn't know "Asian" was a recessive gene. I knew "Fish Belly White" was...but I didn't know about "Asian".

janicef said...

If she thinks Mike and chase look alike now, wait until Chase gets glasses.

Jessieksj said...

Um, wait, does Mike have something he wants to tell us? :)

Marianne said...

I'm still laughing about this. Also it's great to see a photo where Davis is furrowing his brow.

Marianne said...

I meant not furrowing his brow.

hOLLIANN said...

That is a fabulous picture...who in this world was good enough to get all the kids looking in the same direction with no fingers in the nose? And I love the pink laptop by the way.