24 February 2009

Growing Up Isn't Easy

The boy had a hard day at school today. I didn't think you were supposed to have hard days at school until you are in junior high. Regardless, today was a hard day. There was, as the teacher put it, "an altercation."

There were some 3rd grade boys making fun of him and so he went and got a teacher who intervened. Are you impressed that he didn't just start a 3rd grader smack down? If you're not, you've never met my son.

When he came home he was still upset, so I asked him what they had said. He told me the following two things:

1. They were calling him Brigham Young, and he doesn't even go by Brigham he goes by MacKay or Kai, and even if he went by Brigham his name IS NOT Brigham Young. Its just Brigham. But still he likes to be called MacKay or Kai!

2. They said he was small, but he's NOT small. He just has young bones.

When talking about the first insult I asked if it would bother him if I called him Einstein. He said it would. I told him it shouldn't because calling him Einstein is like saying he's smart, and he should think of being called Brigham Young the same way. Brigham Young had a lot of good qualities, he was a hard worker and a good leader. So it shouldn't bother him, he should take it as a compliment. His response, "Einstein isn't my name and Brigham Young isn't my name either. It is not a compliment."

As for the second insult, you can tell he just got his hands x-rayed to find out why he isn't growing as fast as most kids. The doctor said there isn't a problem he just has young bones. I'll be honest, I have no idea what that means, but I assume it means he'll catch up eventually. Unfortunately, young bones or not the boy is pretty small.

3 comments:

NG said...

Poor guy. Don't you just want to go to his school and break those boys' old bones? It sucks to be a mom and not be able to do anything about that kind of stuff.

Anonymous said...

Bad days at school for elementary-age boys isn't all that unusual. It isn't good, but it isn't unusual.

Shell said...

And then there's my girl, who informed me yesterday before school that there is a boy in the other class that she hates. She hates him and he hates her. Sometimes he's mean to her. They fight. Unfortunately, from the sounds of it, she is not sitting quietly back and being picked on (or getting a teacher to intervene). She's doing her own picking in return. I think Brig exorcised his 'in your face' response and sent it over to Kaes. I wasn't planning on stressing about my daughter fighting at school, but now I'm afraid I won't be surprised when I get that first phone call.

Poor Brig. He knows who he is and he's going to sit idly by while someone tries to tell him differently.