09 December 2007

Shoes

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.

I made Madison cry. It wasn't the first time I have reduced my children to tears, but this time I wasn't even mad.

She was getting ready to go to grandma's for a full day of the kind of spoiling fun that only grandparents can accomplish. They were going to be decorating gingerbread houses so she was very concerned that she look festive. We had been told a storm was on the way, and it was already starting to snow. As a result I was less concerned that she look festive and more concerned that her toes remain a cute pink color. I told her she needed to wear boots or good sneakers. She responded with a very quick, "Okay." Not entirely confident in her ability to choose proper shoes, I made her show me the shoes she intended to wear. She showed me these . . . .


See how worn they are? That's because they are so tight her toes have been trying to dig out for the past few months in a desperate attempt for air. I said, "no." Not only did I say "no" I informed her that those shoes needed to be thrown away.

"But I love these shoes!"

"No"

"Well, can't we just give them to someone?"

"No one will want them!"

"But I LOVE these shoes!"

It went on like this for almost an hour. There was pleading, weeping, chest beating, and everything else required to make a tear jerking, chair-arm-gripping drama.

She finally agreed the shoes could be thrown away, but she would be the one to do it.

So good bye shoes. You two had a good run.

2 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

Talk about shooting daggers with your eyes!

*Makes a note to never piss Maddi off*

Alice said...

Madison must be one cool cat if she is related to Aunt Becca!