14 December 2007

ADHD

The boy was recently diagnosed with ADHD. It freaked me out a little because I always thought ADHD was just another name for bad parenting.

I was hesitant to put him on medication because I wanted him to learn to adapt. I started doing all sorts of activities to help deal with his energy and help him learn to focus. None of it really worked. After he had a couple of really bad days at school, I agreed to medication.

Yesterday we forgot to give him his medication. I realized this when I picked him up from school and his teacher informed me it was a less than wonderful day. Then when I put him in the car he jumped out and ran off down the sidewalk. I had to catch him and put him in three times. At that point it was too late in the day to give him the medication because it would have kept him up all night. But here is what is interesting and why I am writing this post:

This is the boy's homework on Wednesday (when he we was on medication)


This is the boy's homework on Thursday (when we forgot to give him medication)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Whatever..you're probably just a bad mom. (Cause that means my mom is a bad mom too...**2** kids with ADD!)

Unknown said...

I never said I WASN'T a bad mom. I'm just excited to find out there's a drug that picks up where I've left off. In fact I think I may stop parenting altogether!

tyler and ali said...

Hmmm, on a day like this, maybe you should think about medicating yourself.

Unknown said...

Totally! Why do you think I drink so much Dr. Pepper?

Marc said...

Looks like you can't lose either way. He's later work is very avant garde.