17 December 2007

Saint Lucia

Madison learned about Saint Lucia in school on Friday. They were told that on Saint Lucia's day in Sweden the girls dress in white, put candles in their hair, and hand out crackers.

Madison came home and decided to dress up like Saint Lucia. She didn't know how to put candles in her hair so she improvised by putting a pen in a hat. Then she began handing out bread.

I asked her what she was doing and she was completely flabbergasted to find out that I didn't know who Saint Lucia was. She thought this was definitive proof that she was smarter than I am.

She kept talking about it all the next day.

Madison: "If you are smarter than I am you can answer this question, what is 8,542 x 1,000"

Me: "8,542,000"

Madison: "Okay, but can you do this one? 329,876 x 3,564"

Me: "Can I have a piece of paper? I can do it if I have a piece of paper."

Madison: "No, you can't have a piece of paper."

Me: "Then I can't do it."

Madison: "So I'm smarter than you!"

Me: "Uh . . . can you do it?"

Madison: "No."

Me: "Could you do it if you had a piece of paper?"

Madison: "No."

Me: "Then you aren't smarter than me. I'm smarter than you."

Madison: "That isn't how the game works, so I'm smarter than you."

Apparently not knowing the random rules to her absurd game means she is smarter than me.

I can respect that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This also shows off your great new floor! Madison was drawn to this I think because of her Swedish roots! My third thought of the day is why do the kids learn about Saint Lucia and Hanakuh but don't learn about Christmas?

Unknown said...

The floor even looks better now because Michael put the baseboards back on Saturday!

As far as religions go, in Madison's classroom they are pretty much covering the gamut. But that is just her teacher, not a school thing.

Shell said...

What do you mean you can't do that sum in your head? I thought you taught math!

Shell said...

And what does knowing about Saint Lucia have to do with math anyway?

Alice said...

Wow ... you ARE smart, you took the time out of your day to argue with a 7 year old about whether you are smarter than her or not.

Unknown said...

Uh Ya. You try ignoring her. Tell you what, when you come for Christmas, I'll let you spend the whole day with her!