27 January 2009

The Science Fair

When I was in school I loved the science fair.  Spelling bee?  Not so much.  I never made it past the class round.   In fact I think I was usually the first one out.  In 3rd grade I was disqualified for spelling baby-sit without the hyphen.  I felt this was unfair because I thought babysit and baby-sit were both acceptable spellings.  Apparently not.  But really, if I'd stayed in that round I just would have been booted the next.  But the science fair, that was my thing.



I was in 4th grade in these pictures .  I grew plants under different colors of light and charted their growth.  I wasn't really sleeping either.  Mr. Gordon (in the above picture) thought it would be funny if I pretended to sleep.  I remember  this particular day because there was a boy named Jeremy behind me who kept crawling under the table.  I thought he was trying to look up my skirt but later found out he was really stealing all the gummy bears I had stashed there.   Jerk.

So if I loved the science fair so much as a kid, why . . . why . . . do I hate it so much now? 

Today is the science fair at Westridge.   Madison and Kai both did projects.  Madison made electromagnets with Michael and Kai and I grew salt crystals. I'll be going this afternoon to see how they are doing.  I might even make Madison pretend she is sleeping and snap a photo.  

Back to the question though.  Why do I hate the science fair?  I did not enjoy setting up the project, I did not enjoy helping him get his board together, and frankly I'm very concerned that Madison might have a nervous breakdown today.  Why do I think that?  Here is a sampling of the conversation we had in the car on the way to school this morning.

Madison:  Okay so I go straight to the gym, right?  Then I set up  my project and when the bell rings I check in at my class, right?
Me:  Yep.  That sounds good.  
Madison:  But what do I do if I finish setting up my project before the bell rings?
Me:  Then you wait for the bell to ring.
Madison:  But do I wait outside or do I wait in the gym?  Or if I finish setting up early should I go to class and check in early?
Me:  I don't think it really matters.
Madison:  But what if I go outside and I'm not supposed to, or stay in the gym and I'm not supposed to?
Me:  I really don't think you need to worry.  I am sure there will be people there to help you out.

When I dropped her off she was still worried.  Kai didn't have a care in the world but Madison was stressed.  Fortunately I didn't tell her about that fact that there are four doors to the gym and certain project numbers are supposed to enter through specific doors.  I think that bit of information might have sent her off the deep end.
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you were robbed: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/babysit

I remember growing salt crystals at home as a child just for fun; I thought it was really cool. Were your kids happy with how their projects turned out? I had grand dreams of winning the science fair, but my project was hydroponics and none of my seeds even sprouted. It turns out that you are unlikely to get any ribbon if your seeds don't even bother to come up. Bummer.

I hope you do get that picture of Madison pretending to sleep--that would be cool.

Alice said...

Gotta love that perm :).

Unknown said...

Pmom-- They were pretty happy with the results. Madison worked pretty hard on her's. Kai was pleased, but put a lot less time in it.

I was always afraid my seeds would sprout. I think I usually planted a million of them, just to make sure.

Alice-- yes the perm was awesome! So was the red sweater.

Unknown said...

I was always jealous of your science fair projects. Mr. Gordon never gave a hoot about mine. That's why in the later years I just said to heck w/ it and teamed up w/ you instead of creating my own. After that I loved the science fair too. Good luck to Madison and Kai. They'll do great.

Unknown said...

Sorry, I need to change my name from Lance to Des but I don't know how :)

Unknown said...

Lance-- I figured it was really Des. :)

Jim- So you hated it huh? I never got that impression. I suppose the science fair is a lot different when you're a parent.

Kristin said...

Tim LOVES the science fair now and then. I am grateful for that. What I am not grateful for is that I am often just as much a worrier about situations like that as Madison. Her thoughts and questions sounded painfully familiar. Not so much about science fairs but any new thing like that. UGH! I feel her pain. Did I ever grow up?

CarrieAnne said...

The Kid's science fair project this year is testing out which brands of toilet paper the cat attacks more heartily.

Neither The Man or myself have ever done a science fair before. The Kid hasn't either.

Tyler V said...

Seriously, Madision is going to start getting ulcers before she hits 13. Breathe in breathe out. I have to second the compliments on your 'do. It's rockin'.