17 January 2009

Not Again . . .

Davis got discharged from the hospital this morning.  We are very excited to be home . . .  and clean.  

For those who don't know Thursday morning my mom and I took Davis to the ER.  When we got there is blood sugar was 34 (normal range is 80 to 120) and his body temperature was 91.  They pumped him full of glucose and put those hand warmer things under his arms as well as covering him with heated blankets.  When they took his blood sugar again and it was 330, they went a little overboard with the glucose.  The 330 thing wasn't a big deal and at that point he was feeling well enough to drink 3 cups of apple juice and a can of Sprite.

He was there for two nights and like I said we came home this morning.  They still don't really know why his blood sugar dropped so low.  They should know more by Monday or Wednesday.  The current theory is that he got too cold Wednesday night because he soaked through his diaper.  Until they know for sure we have to feed him every four hours, which means waking him up in the middle of the night.  

I did find one very useful tool at the hospital.  


Its great for helping kids tell you how they are feeling.  I'm going to use it with Davis at home, but I am going to make one modification.    

Instead of the FACES Pain Rating Scale, I'm going to call it FACES Anger Rating Scale.  

0 = not mad
2 = mad a little bit
4= mad a little more
6= mad even more
8 = mad a whole lot
10=  watch out he might bite you.

So on a scale from 0 to 10, how mad do you think Davis is in this picture?



10 comments:

QueenMeadow said...

I'm glad you are both home, scary stuff for sure.

I'd say that's his very happy face :P

Anonymous said...

Oh he looks so cute- even though he is so unhappy. I'm glad you guys are back home. . . remember. . .we are really close and could help out with anything you need us to!

NG said...

Holy Cow! I hope they're right, but the "current theory" just sounds weird to me. I hope everything stays okay and this will just end up being a good story to tell when he's a teenager and has friends over: "Hey, remember that time when you soaked your diaper and we had to go to the ER? Bobby and Jimmy do you want to hear about that?"

Dawnia said...

Wow, that stinks! Glad you're home now and that all is okay.

Anonymous said...

Oh! We had no idea. I'm very sorry Davis had to make another trip to the hospital. Obviously you didn't know how low his blood sugar was when you took him to the hospital--how did you know to go there? Was he unconscious or did he just feel really cold?

Unknown said...

alyssa--I know, thanks!

NG-- I agree the "current theory" sounds a little off the wall. I was pretty skeptical too. I did talk to another DR who confirmed the fact that it happens which makes me feel better. But like you said, crazy or not, I hope it's true, as it is better than the alternatives.

Pmom-- He wasn't quite unconscious but pretty close. They were having a hard time finding a vain and kept fishing around and trying different places, and he didn't even peep. All the ER people kept saying, "Wow! He's really patient!" He also felt cold but it took them a while to realize that he temp was so low. They just thought their thermometer wasn't working.

Marianne said...

I hope Davis is doing better. Between Brigham and Davis you are at the doctor's way too much. Like Alyssa said, we can help with anything.

CarrieAnne said...

I would take Anakin to the doctor if that would help you out. I am that kind of friend.

(Not to be confused with the "I can take all your kids while you go to the doctor." kind of friend.) ;-p

Love you!

Tyler V said...

Oh, man, that stinks! We hope you're all better real soon so we can PLAY. No more sickness or ERs, ok? (I say that with my worried face, as opposed to my angry face. And not like those people who, when you're pregnant, tell you to have the baby already. Duh. You'd get the dang baby out...or not be to the hospital...if you had ANY say in the matter!

Juliette said...

Whoa, how scary! Glad he's okay.