26 July 2008

Pig Roast

Every year on July 24th my brother throws a party for Pioneer Day. Basically he smokes mounds of pig, invites his family, his friends, and most of the neighborhood to his front yard to eat it. He even provides live music. This was its fifth year, and it is turning out to be the event of the season. So if you are in the area next year, you may want to get to know my brother and his wife so you can finagle and invitation-- if you haven't already.

After dinner, mingling and music, the family crosses the street to my parent's house to set off fireworks. This year we were fortunate enough to have a few old ladies from the neighborhood join us. And I was fortunate enough to have these lovely ladies sitting behind me.

One of these ladies began telling her daughter who everyone was . "This is Christian . . . these are his kids . . . that one is Matthew" and so on. After she pointed to me she followed it up with a hushed, "the cute one is in San Fransisco. She couldn't make it this year." I turned around shocked, and she stammered, "oh, but you're smart."

This, people, is what happens when your parents dress you like a banana. So Beck, you may have got the looks (and the cuter swimming suit), but apparently I am smart.

5 comments:

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

If it makes any difference, I think you are cute AND smart! (Even if you did have an adorable banana swimsuit)

Natalie

CarrieAnne said...

Your sister's beauty will fade. YOU will always be smart.

Unless you get Alzheimer's. You'd still be smart but you won't remember that you were. But then you won't remember you aren't pretty and so it won't be as bad as all that anyway.

And an added bonus of Alzheimer's is that you can flip people off when you bear your testimony and no one will stop you! (Too bad those ladies will probably be dead by then, and that you're not in the same ward.)

Alice said...

I have no clue who said this, but I find it funny considering how much a like we look. So really she is simply just saying that I'm not smart ... and Carrianne is saying that my beauty will fade so in the end you've got it all and I've got nothin'

I do wish I could have been there! Damn work. :(

Kristin said...

Ya know Lis...I am not sure you would need Alzheimers to feel ok about flicking people off in testimony meeting. And that my dear is why you are the cute one!

Unknown said...

Ben and Natalie-- Well I know I think I'm both cute and smart, but it's nice to hear all the same.

CA-- You always know just the right thing to say.

Alice-- I'm pretty sure she's just a bit touched. We did miss you though.

JimF-- You know your neighbors well.

S&S-- That is the first time I was told I was cute because I occasionally flip people off. Hopefully not the last.