18 June 2009

Trackitude

Do you remember when Madison placed third in the 200 and 400 meter? That particular meet was the local Hershey Track meet and the first and second place winners would advance to the district meet. As I mentioned Madison placed third. She ran her guts out and placed third. Even though Michael and I were insanely proud of her she was pretty disappointed because she wanted to advance. Last week I got a phone call and was informed that the second place winner wouldn't be able to go to the district meet and so they wanted Madison to go in her place. I was thrilled and thought Madison would be too-- she wasn't. Her response was something like, "Oh. Cool." When I asked if she wanted to call and tell her grandparents she said, "Um . . . I guess so." I know her, and I know she's not thrilled because she got third in the qualifying meet and so she thinks she won't win at district.

Tonight is the district meet. I told her that if she doesn't win I'll break her fingers, but I don't think she believed me. I also told her that she should be proud that she is at the district meet and if she tries her best then nothing else matters. Unfortunately I don't think she believed that either.

Cross your fingers for her. I'll post the results tomorrow.

4 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

Perfectionist kids are a pain in the butt! They don't recognize anything as success unless they "win" or place first, get an A+ or whatever the "top" is.

Why can't they see that slightly better than mediocre isn't bad? Most people are mediocre..and they are very happy with it.

You just need to tell her she sucks at everything. The more she hears that and then sees that she isn't sucking the more her self esteem will grow. Tonight instead of yelling "GO MADISON!!" yell, "You SUCK HONEY!!" or "Get OFF THE TRACK SHORTY!!" *THAT* will help her feel better.

Anonymous said...

LOL at CarriAnne's plan.

I have the fault of quitting at anything I don't think I excel at, so I not only wish Maddie well at the district meet, but also wish you very very well at figuring out a way to unteach that attitude. And then tell me whatever it was you told her.

Anonymous said...

(Woops just noticed that you call her Madison and not Maddie -- sorry!)

Unknown said...

myimaginaryblog-- I call her Maddie all the time. In fact I named her Madison so I could call her Maddie. Unfortunately she decided she prefers Madison to Maddie so there goes that . . . .