05 March 2009

Eggplants Never Say Die

I am a happy recipient of my dad's cast offs when he plants his garden each spring.

Last year he gave me an eggplant. I love eggplant so I took it not realizing that I had bought so many tomatoes that I didn't have room for it in my planter box. I'm pretty sure Michael is a one planter box a year kind of guy and wouldn't be super excited about making another. So, instead of growing among my hordes of tomatoes, I put the eggplant in a pot all by itself next to my planter box.

Unfortunately my tomatoes grew much faster and wilder than I had expected and tangled themselves up so much that I had no hope of actually reaching that pot. To make things worse I had forgotten to drill holes in the bottom of the egg plant's pot. The pot quickly filled with water and it sat like that all summer.

In the fall I cleared out my planter bed. This is new for me. Normally I neglect my planter beds until it snows. Then its too late to clear them out and I have to deal with a very dead nasty mess come spring. But in my on going efforts to be a better person I decided to go ahead and clear out my planter bed in the fall like everyone else does.

Once the pot was uncovered I decided to dump out the stagnant pool of mosquito breading water that had collected in it only to find my little eggplant still alive. It hadn't grown any, but it was still green. Seeing as it was fall and a bit late for eggplant I chucked it in the planter bed and turned it with the rest of the dirt.

So what do you think I found when all the snow melted?


A thriving eggplant.

This sucker better produce some fruit. Anything that works that hard to stay alive better do something pretty damn good.

2 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

AMEN!

What do you do with it? I've never eaten it..do you cook it by itself, eat it raw, put in in something? I'm just so clueless.

Unknown said...

My plan is to get Michael to make eggplant parmesan.