22 October 2008

What Does My Music Say About Me

My taste in music often gets me in trouble.  

In high school I met a boy in computer class who told me his favorite music was that of Janice Kapp Perry.  I laughed at him,  but then felt bad so the next day I brought him a copy of Neil Young's album Harvest Moon.  Later he said that his mom told him I was the devil.  

When Madison was in preschool she took "Its Raining Men" on a CD for show and tell one day.  I'd been listening to it in the car and she thought it was the best song ever.  You have to admit its got a pretty catchy tune-- perfect for driving.  Her teacher never said anything about it, but I suspect she thought I was the devil too.

Lately I've been listening to Mika.  Juvenile?  Perhaps, but fun to listen to while you're driving.  Kai absolutely loves it.  His favorite song is Big Girls.  



I didn't really think it was a problem until I heard him in the yard singing "'cause a whole lot of woman need a whole lot moooooore!"  At the top of his lungs.  

I think I may need to go back to listening to the Flaming Lips.  The boy was quite fond of Yoshimi, and the Jelly song always made him laugh.  Or better yet, maybe I should pull my old Telemann CD out of retirement.  I bet the devil doesn't listen to Telemann.

11 comments:

Jeri Hazelton said...

At least Brig isn't singing Billy Brown by Mika, then you might really get some looks!

NG said...

I'm a fan of Janice Kapp Perry too... I just love the one song she writes over and over.

Anonymous said...

I tell people that "Big girls you are beautiful" is my theme song. And MJ thinks "Say love" is "SA-aM"- and calls it the Sam song.

If your music is the devil, I sure am glad I am already going to hell :)

NG- too funny.

CarrieAnne said...

Mika? What the hell was that? Where can I get more?

You should listen to more Queen. The "Fat Bottomed Girls" song would be great for him to sing in school.

"Left alone with big fat fanny
She was such a naughty nanny
Heap big woman you made a bad boy out of me"

In fact he should sing it on his bike with his posse...riding around the block for those girls.

Alice said...

Didn't you end up dating the guy who's mother called you the devil?

BTW, I think you MIGHT be the devil because your page crashed my computer and I lost half of a project I was working on ... maybe I shouldn't be browsing blogs at work.

Unknown said...

YONF-- I totally agree.

ng-- ya that one song is awesome.

Jessie-- It sounds like MJ has good taste in music.

CA-- I do like queen. Though fat bottomed girls hits a little too close to home for me.

alice-- I did not date the guy who's mother called me the devil. I don't think his mom would let him ask me out.

Marianne said...

I love Mika. Clara's favorite song is lollipop. I do have to forward through Billy Brown though. She's starting to understand way too much.

hOLLIANN said...

Proving my point to my husband...if I can't listen to what I want, then I just shouldn't listen at all!...JKP...ng...so FUNNY!! But seriously, you need to add Kurt Bestor as a friend on facebook...so humorous! People swear by his "mormon" music...just add him. Very funny! The dude is a whack job just like every other musician, it just doesn't come out in the form of FABULOUS music.

Oh, and please feel free to delete this terrible comment...all for a giggle.

daviddespain.secret said...

Great song by Mika. Fits right up there with Robbie Williams' DJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30fuj9ldnCg

(my wife is obsessed with this video)

daviddespain.secret said...

Mama: I don't ever want you associatin' with little girls.
Bobby: Why not, mama?
Mama: Because little girls are the devil!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlWgF8dqneg

Tyler V said...

It's ok, we all already know you aren't the devil, just a close associate of his.