10 October 2008

Fresh Start

I registered the boy and the girl at the public elementary school this afternoon,  and now I'm getting nervous.  I hate having to make big important decisions--especially ones that have an impact on the lives of my children.  

We have been going to Freedom, a charter school, since the girl started kindergarten.  Wasn't she cute?  I loved that jumper.  Wednesday will be their last day of school at Freedom and their first time at public school.  

I went to a small private school for kindergarten and first grade and was moved to a public school in second.  Why?  I don't know--I was 6.  But, maybe it was because we were taken to the front lawn, told to spread out our arms, face the sky and feel the spirit.  Or maybe it was just the black widows in the blocks.  I do remember being thrilled because the public school had a cafeteria.  No more eating home lunches at my desk!  Score!

Madison is excited about the lack of uniform at the new school.  She plans on doing something completely crazy the first day, like wearing pants under a skirt.  That is sooo against the rules at Freedom.

Kai is looking forward to going by his middle name, MacKay (pronounced the Scottish way Ma-Kai) or just Kai for short.    Most of the world (including everyone at Freedom) calls him Brigham or Brig (his first name).  I call him Kai and have for a long time.  But he wants a new name at his new school.  It's his fresh start.  Though I understand, it does make me sad.  I was really the only person who ever called him Kai, so when I hear other people calling him that it seems wrong.  

We have good memories of Freedom, but we know its time to move on even if that means leaving teachers and friends that we love.  


5 comments:

Kristin said...

So. . why? That is kind of out of the blue. Next time I see you...you have a story to tell!

NG said...

I'm actually curious too... if you feel like sharing. It was such a dilemma choosing between public and charter school. I'm interested to hear how others made those decisions.

hOLLIANN said...

Me too...now you HAVE to spill it. where will your kids be going? I think you should knit them something fancy and sparkly to wear to school!

We also had to make that decision, but luckily my sis in law's mom is over all curriculum for the state, and she sent us the test scores for all the schools I was choosing...made the decision VERY easy!

Unknown said...

Well Freedom is a good school, but Westridge (the public school) has better scores. But the main reason is that he is being picked on. A lot. And we are hoping that he can make a fresh start at Westridge. That is it in a nutshell. I might write a more detailed post later.

hOLLIANN said...

Hey - our choices as well. We will have to chat about this one day...I have much insider info. Is your little guy in Kindergarten?