17 October 2007

I Hate Parents and Children! Who Knew?

I'm kind of tired of people making assumptions about my educational and political beliefs. Now in all fairness I have tried to steer clear of politics. I did vote in the last election. Though I was attacked for being a democrat during the process. Why can't we just all get along?

At our last back to school night I was approached by one of the other moms. She asked me about my feelings on school vouchers, not wanting to engage in a political discussion I told her I didn't have a strong opinion either way.

She then said, "Well, I am sure you will vote for them. We send our kids to a charter school and so obviously we care more about education that most people. And because we care so much about education it only makes sense that we would be for vouchers." I responded with a dismissive, "Huh."

I always suspected I was better than the regular people who send their kids to the regular elementary school (some of which happen to be my siblings). Anyhow, I'm glad my suspicions have been confirmed. It just feels good to know for sure.

Last week Madison came home with a bunch of papers from her school. You know the lunch menu for next month, a notice about parent teacher conferences, that sort of thing. As I was "filing" these papers I came across one about school vouchers. It started out something like this (I don't have the exact words because the paper has been "filed"), "Because Freedom Academy is a public school we do not take sides on the voucher issue. However we feel it is important you know all the facts so you can make an informed decision" sounds good so far, right? The entire rest of the paper was full of pro-voucher arguments. I was expecting them to also have some con-voucher arguments, thus rendering it neutral, alas it was not to be.

Yesterday while walking my kids home from school, I saw a sign in someone's yard that read, "I am for vouchers! I care about parents and children!" I believe the implication here (though a logical fallacy) is that if I'm not for vouchers then I don't care about parents and children. Do you think that means I can stop doing laundry? Because personally I'm not for vouchers, so if I don't care about my family, why do I keep doing the laundry? In fact I think I'm going to stop doing most of the household chores. Whew, what a load off.

I say, lets vote already! That way we can start insulting each other about something else. The voucher thing is just getting old.

13 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

Wait...you're a Democrat?!? How can you live in Utah County? You're a false pretenser!

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what a school voucher is! I'm still amazed about the school experiences you have, since my kids go to public school it is fun to compare. But around here there is one charter school and I would never send my kids there because it is all earthy and ashlandly and all they do is explore themselves and have free time. I feel apart of your world now that I can add comments, thanks!

tyler and ali said...

I am so frustrated by the whole "the evil liberals are the ones supporting vouchers, trying to deny you the choice of an education for your child, and supporting Hilary Clinton. If you don't support vouchers, you may as well just commit your children to purgatory, because you obviously have no morals". I hate that playing the "democrat" card makes people stop learning about issues.
Wow, that felt good to get off my chest!

tyler and ali said...

Oops, I means "evil liberals DON'T support vouchers, and you're an evil liberal if you don't support them, too".

Marc said...

Looks like you
don't have much to worry about
on the voucher front.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're just...like...so edgy and original and cool and rebellious and anti-establishment!

And yet...uhhh...you named your kid....ummm...wait for it... 'Madison'...lol. Why not 'Dakota' or 'Savannah'?

I'm sorry, but you're twenty times sadder than the parents you self-righteously bitch about. Except you have two thousand times the 'tude.

I feel genuinely sorry for your offspring, on more levels than I can count.

Emo on, home-during-the-prom girl. Shame you had to inflict your bitterness on another innocent generation. But I guess that's your "right".

Ughhh....

Marc said...

Wow "anonymous"... that was sure a bold and brave statement to post "anonymously." Apparently you prefer to duck real debates for hateful ad hominem-laced invective... which is fine. But how about you do it somewhere else?

Unknown said...

Marc-- Thanks! Oh and have I mentioned that I think your son is absolutely adorable? And not just because I think he looks similar to Davis, that's purely coincidental!

Kristin said...

Yeah, its easy to be opinionated and critical when you can be annonymous about it. What an A-hole. Funny how they say your bitter when they are the ones leaving "bitch"y comments on peoples blogs. That takes a whole lot of "tude" if you ask me. Sorry you had to get that Lis. Luckily you are "self righteous" enough to handle it. We love you!

Shell said...

Wow, anonymous, you have nothing better to do with your life than insult people at 2:00 in the morning? I was up at 2:00 also, spending time with friends, enjoying a good movie and making book marks for my kids' teachers for teacher appreciation week. I'm feeling pretty good about time well spent. I really hope you're not. And I know I'm revealing my own ignorance here, but what's your issue with Madison's name? I'm seriously lost on why you brought that up. It seems really, really low to pick on an adorable little girl at 2:00 in the morning. Or 2:00 in the afternoon, for that matter.

And Beth, what the heck were you doing playing around on the computer at 2:00 in the morning? Weren't you tired by the time we left?

CarrieAnne said...

Michelle- I was on the computer when I got home...around 3.


Sorry Lis, I didn't think the "anonymous" comment would cause such a stir. It's just that I wanted you to name her "CarrieAnne".

Which is a very anti establishment sort of name. Cause girls that run around "playing monitor" and playing with "older boys and prefects" can never be established.

But they *ARE* rather popular Prom dates....




P.S. I often think of you as a prototypical non-conformist, you are a vacuous soldier of the thrift store Gestapo! You adhere to a set of standards and tastes that appear to be determined by an unseen panel of hipster judges.

Unknown said...

S&S-- did you say A-hole? I'm socked! But I'm not disagreeing.

Michelle-- unfortunately I didn't get to bed until well after you all left. But I was lucky enough to wake up at 6:30 and get the kids off to school

CA-- If you want to call the girl Carrieanne you can. And we all you know didn't make that comment, you're too sweet.

CarrieAnne said...

Don't call me sweet! You're gonna ruin my rep!