08 March 2010

A Dash of Imagination

Madison went on a skiing field trip last week.  I'm not a fan of skiing and was convinced she'd come home injured-- if she came home at all.  So I tried to bribe her to stay home and told her instead I'd take her to lunch and a movie instead.  She wasn't swayed.  Even though she looks just like me she's got some Michael in her.  I would never pass up lunch and a movie for skiing.  In fact the only thing I'd rather do than lunch and a movie is dinner and a movie.

I am fully aware that I'm not the fun parent.  When Madison was in kindergarten she told me that she thought I was probably like Whistler's mother and if Whistler were to paint his dad he'd probably use fun vibrant colors like Degas used.  At the time I was trying to teach her to appreciate art.  As the boys came into their own, teaching art appreciation quickly dropped off the list of things I felt I needed to do.

However, every once in a while I try to surprise the kids and do something completely crazy, super fun, and imaginative.  Like the other day Kai and his bear, Black Bear Black, were sitting at the counter so instead of just giving the boy a bowl of chips I decided I'd get a small bowl for Black Bear Black too. 

It wasn't like I was expecting a Mormon Ad moment but I certainly wasn't expecting this . . . .

The Boy:  Um mom . . . why did you give Black Bear Black chips?  You know he isn't real, right? I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with these chips.  Really, what am I supposed to do with these chips?

6 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

Just accept that you're never gonna be the "fun" parent and move on. I have a friend whose kids called her husband "Fun Jeff" cause he was the fun one.

I wanna be a dad in my next life. Dad's rock!

Sparklebot said...

It's easy to be the fun parent when you work during the day, and only have to be there with the kids at night. When you've been dealing with kids all day, fun leaves and frustration enters.

Grace said...

I am sooo not the fun parent. And when I try to be creative and change my ways..I get confused stares in return.

kacy faulconer said...

There's really no point in trying, as this episode suggests. Lesson learned.

NG said...

I think it might be fun to continue to claim the bear needed food and set him a place at the table for the rest of the week, then eat the food when no one's looking and claim the Bear did it. I'd show that boy who's "fun".... oh wait... that word is "crazy."

Monica said...

I had to laugh when you referred to the Mormon ads. They are a little like that childhood favorite, Kraft Mac and Cheese...
In other words,the Cheesiest.

What other church uses pirate fights, special effect explosions, and cute babies to sell their wares all in the SAME commercial?

Gotta admit, its genius.