09 September 2008

Good Book, Good Soup?

This is the time of year where some people are enjoying a harvest from their garden.  I, for one, am up to my eyeballs in tomatoes.  If you need some let me know.  Seriously.  We have so many my children have started using them as weapons in the back yard.  

I have heard a similar thing happens when you plant zucchini.  I wouldn't know because I don't like zucchini so I don't plant it.  I only plant tomatoes and basil because all I ever want from my garden in bruschetta and BLTs.  Some day I may try my hand at growing lettuce for the BLTs.  That seems easier than raising a pig for the bacon. 

Back to zucchini . . . if you have an abundance of zucchini you may want to try making this soup.  I have no idea if it is good because I've never made it.  I recently checked the Princess Bride out from the library and found the recipe for it tucked inside.  I assume the previous reader was using it as a book mark.  

I figure you can make one of following assumptions about this recipe--

1.  It must be a good soup because of the book it was found in.  The Princess Bride is a sit on the couch with a nice blanket, pillow, and cosy fire kind of book.  Its like comfort food.  The best soups are comfort food.

2.  It must be a horrible soup because instead of cherishing the recipe it was used as a book mark.

So here is the recipe.  One of you who has a lot of zucchini should try it and tell me if it is any good.

Zucchini Soup

3lbs zucchini -- slice in 1 inch pieces
2 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp white pepper
2 (10 3/4 oz) Chicken broth
1/2 cups water

Combine and bring to a boil.
Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.,
Place small amount in blender.
Repeat and blend until smooth.
Add 1/2 cups half and half.
Reheat and serve.

3 comments:

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler V said...

You can always unload tomatoes on us. Seriously, we're deficient in tomato growing. Try and try, but I guess when you leave for a month in August, don't plant until the end of June, and forget to water half the time, that's what happens. We will get 1 zucchini out of our garden, as well as some basil. The zucchini still isn't grown, but if it were, I'd convert you to zucchini via brownies. Mmmmm. It's the best way to eat your veggies...and you can justify a lot more brownies when you say you're eating veggies at the same time. It works in my head!

Unknown said...

Vigues-- zucchini brownies? Huh.

If you want tomatoes come and get em. Seriously, we have boat loads of them.