05 October 2009

Why ARE Farms So Perfect?!

In the last few weeks we have visited not one but two farms and Chase has been in Heaven.

The first place we visited was the Blue Moon Alpaca Ranch. It was open farm day so I went to buy some lovely lovely alpaca yarn. The kids got to walk around the farm and see the alpaca, to which Chase dreamily asked, "Mom, why are farms so perfect?"

Was it perfect? Yes, I think so. Not only did I come home with wonderful yarn, I bought alpaca wool roving too. Why would I buy wool roving? Because I'm taking a spinning class.

Before you fall out of your chair, I won't be on a bike. Instead I'll be turning roving into yarn. I braved one of those biking classes when the boy was a baby and it took the instructor 20 minutes to fix the bike so my short little legs could reach the peddles. Apparently it took 20 minutes because as the instructor said, "those bike were not really made to go that small." Needless to say, I didn't go back.

The second farm we visited was the Red Barn. We took a wagon ride out to the Red Barn's pumpkin patch where the kids each got to pick out any pumpkin they wanted. To honor the occasion Davis wore his new, and very cute--thank you very much, pumpkin hat. He is a little obsessed with pumpkins right now.

Madison picked the roundest pumpkin, Kai picked the largest pumpkin, Chase's pumpkin had the longest stem, and Davis pumpkin was, well, small and cute just like he is.


Chase was all about his pumpkin until he saw our wagon was being pulled by a John Deere tractor. He didn't take his eyes off that thing the whole ride. When asked about the trip to the farm he said, "That was AMAZING!!"

7 comments:

JulieN said...

Wow. It looks like you had a great time! I am jealous that you are going to try spinning. I am trying to avoid that. Yesterday on my trip to Sonic I noticed that there is an Alpaca show at the fairgrounds next weekend. I think I might attend and see if I can get my hands on some great yarn!

Jessieksj said...

hahaha, next year we are coming to your pumpkin patch. they did not have any even close to the size of brigs at ours. could he really hold that sucker?
remember when we did pumpkins when we were little? i think we tried to paint them.
love LOVE the hat.
can't wait to see what you do with the yarn.
same thing happened to Sam with the spinning class, only the instructor could not make the bike big enough:)
ok, that was long

Shell said...

Hey, where's the Red Barn? Kaes is also obsessed with pumpkins (oddly enough) and I am currently cooking six small(ish) chocolate bundt cakes to turn into pumpkins for her birthday tonight. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Kristin said...

You guys are such awesome parents. Taking our kids to pick out a pumkin involves a ride in our min-van to Wal-mart (or Smith's if they are lucky) Woo Hoo! Holiday fun! Seriously. . . we make it up in other traditions but we do need to go pick up a pumpkin at a farm sometime instead.

Anonymous said...

Love the pumpkin hat! Reading Jessie's comment reminded me of when we did pumpkins when we were little...remember you sliced my thumb open and your mom almost took me to the emergency room? Good times. -Des

CarrieAnne said...

Event the poop is great at farms right? What's cooler than that?

Is that the Red Barn in Payson? Maybe Michelle and I will take our kids there. hint hint

Unknown said...

Julie- I'm very excited to try spinning. Good luck at the fairgrounds, let me know if you find anything!

Kristin-- I tell myself that every day as I'm trying not to lose my mind. I am and awesome parent . . . I am an awesome parent . . . I am an awesome parent . . . .

Des-- How could I forget. I was pretty freaked out when I cut your finger open. Which is probably why I stuck to painting them with Jessie. :)

Michelle and CA-- You'd have to ask Michael for sure, but I think it is in Santaquin.