26 August 2008

What Comes Around . . .

When I was a kid my mom told me to stop rocking in the new chair. "Why? It rocks." I said. She told me that if I didn't stop I'd use all the rocks in one sitting. I thought that was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard.

So imagine my surprise when I found my self responding to the boy's question of why he needed to stop bending his bendable ruler with, "Because if you keep bending it, you'll use all the bends right now, and then you'll have nothing to do at school tomorrow."

As I heard those words come out of my mouth I realized something-- I bet my rocking in that chair was really annoying.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

That thing I swore I would never say to my kids is, after offering something like carrots for a snack in response to their "Mom I am hungry" : "Well, if you wont eat this then you aren't really hungry, because if you were really hungry you would eat anything" What I didn't realize was how logically sound it really was. At the time it made NO sense.

Juliette said...

Yeah, I am becoming a bit like my mom, too. Strange how that happens...

Sparklebot said...

My parents told us that about the Nintendo gun--the one used for Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley and all the gun games for the original Nintendo. We would go around shooting it everywhere all the time and they told us it would run out of "clicks" and then not work anymore.

Parents lie.