25 August 2008

Score

Last week a friend and I went to an import store that happens to be going out of business. They had a lot of things on sale and happened to be selling the small jars of saffron for 4 dollars. My friend picked up an unopened box of individually wrapped jars and took it to the counter.

Her: "I'd like to buy some saffron. Do you have an open box? I can only find two unopened boxes."

Sales Person: "You don't want the whole box?"

Her: "Well I really can't afford the whole box. I just want one or two jars."

Sales Person: "You can't afford 4 dollars?"

Her: "Its 4 dollars for the whole box? Are you sure it isn't 4 dollars for a jar?"

Sales Person: "Well the box isn't opened so I'm sure it's 4 dollars for the whole box."

My friend bought the first box and I bought the second. I'm pretty sure I know why they are going out of business.

Now I just have to talk Michael into working his way through AllRecipes' list of the 20 best Saffron Dishes. Personally I think he should start with the Lamb Tagine.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

sooo, was the friend Michelle buying this blessed ingredient for Matthew Aranchini's? (sp?) If so, I bet he is in heaven.

Unknown said...

It was Michelle and I am sure that she was buying it for Matthew to make something fantastic. Really, I'm only friends with them for the food.

Anonymous said...

i promise this isnt the reason we are coming- but i cant wait to try the something Mike has made off the list :)

Anonymous said...

or something you have made?! hahaha

Tyler V said...

Um, I know who I'll be stealing saffron from.
COME ON! You don't even use the toaster except under duress! Why do you get to find the fantastic deals?!?