27 September 2007

Happy Birthday Dad!

My Favorite Memories of My Dad

1. On occasion we would pack up the big red van and drive out to California to visit my grandparents. On one of these road trips he sang to Aretha Franklin's "Natural Woman" with incredible gusto. To this day I can't hear that song with out thinking of him.

2. Once he stapled my arm with a staple gun. In his defense he didn't know it had staples in it. Surprisingly it didn't hurt at all. After we took the staple out he got a pencil and put little black circles around the red marks in my arm and I told my mom I'd been bitten by a snake.

3. Every once in a while he would let me go to work with him. I think I was six or seven, when at his office one day I made an amazing observation. Very proud of myself I said, "Dad, I just realized that every object has at least two sides!"
"Really?" He paused a minute and messed with some paper on his desk. "How about this one?" He asked handing me a Mobius Strip.

4. I have long since forgotten my misdeeds, but I do remember that when my dad was feeling particularly punchy he would set us on the couch and read Heidegger or Nietzsche for a predetermined amount of time. During one of my "sessions" my older brother stood behind my dad's back and mimicked him. I started to laugh so my brother had to join me on the couch (sorry about that Christian).

5. When I was about twelve my dad took me for a walk around the neighborhood. He wanted to talk to me because he felt like I was taking school too seriously, and wanted to make sure I took some time to relax and play with my friends. I was touched that he was so concerned; maybe that's why I took him so seriously. I think he was probably regretting that talk when I dropped out of high school and he told me that if I didn't finish college he would strangle me.

3 comments:

mhambster said...

This is a beautiful post. Good job, Lis. You've got class.

CarrieAnne said...

I'm so doing the Nietzsche thing!

Marc said...

Happy b-day Jim