07 April 2010

What We Did on Easter

I have people tell me that I'm at the doctor a  lot and I wonder, am I at the doctor more than the average mom?  Should I not assume that the office staff knows the voice of every caller?  Is it a bad sign that when I start my question to the on-call nurse by saying, "My 7-year-old son . . ." she interrupts me with, "We're talking about MacKay?  Right?"  As soon as I say hello and the age of the child crying in the background they know who I am and who's crying.  Does this mean I'm there too much or do I just have an awesome doctor who has an awesome office staff?

Either way Davis must not think he sees the doctor enough because Sunday he took a chunk out of his cornea with a small wooden helicopter.  From what I gather taking a chunk out of your cornea hurts.  When something hurts small children tend to insist on a band-aid--even when band-aids are totally and completely useless.  I let the kids have free reign over the band-aids because they are an inexpensive way to calm a screaming child.  Yes, we go through a lot of band-aids.  However, there are times when I have to draw the line.  For example, I do not let the kids put band-aids on their eyes.  This particular line caused a problem on Sunday because Davis really really wanted a band-aid on his eye.  I suggested what I thought was the next best thing--sunglasses.  I even called them "band-aids for your eyes" and he totally fell for it.  The only problem is that he didn't actually have sunglasses and Kai wasn't about to let Davis borrow his because they were "oh so special."  Fortunately Madison came to the rescue with these beauties.


The crying stopped and I was able to take little Elton John to see the doctor.  Davis took the glasses off long enough to let the doctor put drops in his eyes that glowed florescent yellow under a black light (eat your heart out big Elton John) and I suggested he let us have some for Halloween.  I think the doctor would have thought that was funny if he saw us more often, but he doesn't get my sense of humor yet.  But then, we've only seen him three times so far this week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you just have an awesome doctor with an awesome staff!!! Yep, I do!

tamara said...

um, yes it was me who left the 1st comment. (just in case you didn't recognize my voice.)

Grace said...

Ouch! Corneal scratches HURT! And I had NEVER thought about using the yellow dye for Halloween..great idea! If you want maybe I can sneak some out your way for the occation, but you need a black light to get the full effect.

Unknown said...

Tamara-- you kind of scared me a little there . . . .

Grace-- I forgot I have an IN! Awesome. I'll be sending you an email come October. Now I just have to have to find a black light that runs on batteries . . . .

Sparklebot said...

The glasses are a good look for Davis, corneal scratch or no.

NG said...

You are a genius.

Also: I thought the exact same thing last time I was in the doctor's off and he used that glowy eye drops on my kid! Our doctor, however, is an old Iraqi man who wouldn't have understood the request, so I said nothing. I know my limits.