03 January 2011

Doing My Duty

Today I will cash a check for $18.50 and I proudly earned every penny of it.

Not too long ago the city of Lehi asked me to serve on a jury. This consisted of a couple hours of testimony, a free sandwich, and the promise of a Dr. Pepper (which instead turned out to be a bottle of water and a pink cookie--apparently they were out of Dr. Pepper-- not that I'm bitter or anything).  The testimony boiled down to this, the person in question left a bar, was pulled over by a policeman, failed his field sobriety tests, went back to the station and failed the breathalyzer (he scored a .14, in other words he was very drunk), and then admitted to (and never recanted) drinking no less than ten beers before heading home.

Three other jury members and I were supposed to take these facts and answer the following questions:
1.  Had the person in question been drinking that night
2.  Was the person in question in fact drunk (or over the legal limit .08) 
It was a tough call, but after a grueling 20 minutes of deliberation (10 of which was spent filling out paper work) we decided not only had he been drinking that night, he was in fact drunk.  I say money well spent.  But for future reference, Lehi, a bottle of water and a pink cookie does not a Dr. Pepper make.

3 comments:

janicef said...

So do you think the city of Lehi has to get Provo people to serve on their juries because Lehi people started refusing to work for water and pink cookies? I'll bet Provo has Dr. Pepper.

Anonymous said...

I bet if James got elected to the city council, they would for sure have Dr. Pepper.

Ali said...

Dude, it's the old bait-and-switch. That's just dishonest, man.