19 October 2011

The First Costume Is Complete

I have one costume done.  Madison had a Halloween party to go to, yes she does that now, so we had to finish her costume first.

This year she wanted to be a Gothic Rag Doll.  I had no idea what that was so the first thing I did was google "gothic rag doll."  Thanks to google and pinterest I was able to get an idea of what she wanted, cried a little, and then I got to work.

This year she helped me with her costume. It was awesome because her help was actually helpful. 

Without further ado I give you Madison as a Gothic Rag Doll.

We made the wig by sewing white and black yarn (don't worry knitting friends I used red heart) onto a black beanie I purchased on clearance for 33 cents.  We used two full skeins of yarn-- and were still a little short.

For her shirt I found a boy's black t-shirt on clearance for a dollar and serged the edges of the sleeves (making them shorter and more girly).  I also serged around the neckline and bottom of the shirt.  then I cut up the center of the shirt, serged the edges, sewed it back together and sewed on fake felt buttons.

The skirt was super easy.  We took strips of black and white tulle and tied them around elastic (the oldest tutu making trick in the book) and once that was done I sewed a piece of gray fabric around the inside.

I made the sleeveless gloves by cutting the toes from a pair of striped knee socks and making a little stitch for the thumb.   We made the necklace with clay beads (we used sculpy brand clay) and some fine gauge jewelry wire.

Oh and don't forget the creepy make-up and white crackle nail polish!


Gothic Rag Doll COMPLETE!  Now to to the wizard . . . .

8 comments:

NG said...

This is awesomely creative on both idea and implementation. I can't wait until my girls choose something for Halloween other than "pretty princess" or it's variation: "pretty princess in black tones for Halloween."

Rebecca said...

Looks fantastic. I'm super impressed by you two.

Juliette said...

Wow, that looks so cool. I'm jealous. Will you make ME a goth rag doll costume?

Dawnia said...

All I can say is WOW! That's impressive and a little creepy. And where did she come up with that idea???

JulieN said...

Looks Great!!! Totally impressed.

Grace said...

Awesome costume! Way to go you two!
But I don't think I'm ready for my girls to start requesting costumes similar to this.

yet-ching said...

Awesome makeup and costume~~^^~~

Jenilyn Collings said...

That is so cool! I love it, especially the makeup!